Saturday, August 6, 2011

Indies Now

The facts are that the current music business for independents has completely leveled the playing field. No matter that you once played with "This Name" or "That Name" doesn't mean that You have a Recognized Name. Having played with or for a Name or a Name Band will open some doors now but it won't open all. You and Your presentation are what will sell you now; kudo's from the past will help but you are your own selling point.

It's almost the same as when I was working at a stables, a person walking up to me and paying their $30. for a 2-hour ride and telling me "I know how to ride; give me a good horse". Sure ya do. Instead of telling me? Show me what you can do. I'll give you a horse that will prove to me that you can either ride or not. They're all good horses, whether they look the part or not - it's your level of expertise that will make that older looking "nag" lift his head and prance ... or not.

You once played with so-and-so but you don't anymore ... every indie now how to eke out his or her own audience and platform and play from and to it. No one is going to get rich anymore - you just gotta love what you do, and keep on keepin' on, choose your favorite kind of venues, wow 'em every time, get paid, sell a few more than a few CDs or download cards, and go home, hoping that the new fans leave your last show humming your music and sharing it with friends so that the next time you're in their hood, the crowd will be larger.

It's being true to yourself and your music and being honest with yourself and your fans. The levels equal the kinds of venues you are accepted to play in and how fast your new music climbs the present popular (Roots 66 and Roots Music Report) charts, without help from a radio promoter. And the smiling happy fans at the end of a show..... And how YOU feel when it's done, without aid of chemical substances. Was it a great show? Will the buzz from your music and that last show carry you through to the next one? Can you make the old nag lift his or her head and prance? That's your criteria. And not who you once played with.....

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Ma Hen! (BTW, I tried to follow this blog using the button but alas it said the blog I was reading didn't exist. Now THAT is an existential issue!) Steve (But I'm tenacious, I figured out a different way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that from Networked Blogs? Cause I think things got a bit screwed up when my blog was attached to my website ... I'll have that existential issue looked into and see if we can't resolve it. Thanks, Steve!

    ReplyDelete